Saturday, June 06, 2009

Life and It's Phases...

Some may say it's a little immature or even premature for a 24 year old to talk about "life", well to me it's never too early to retrospect and reflect..

If I were to note my life's achievements, crowning glories, defeats and loses, it would be a long list of disappointments, dotted with a few genuine victories.

I have always hated whenever someone tells me 'this is just a phase it will pass', but unfortunately that's the only hope I have. For if things don't improve soon, I think I'll go mad.. like seriously clinically mad! This is most definitely the saddest I have felt for as long as I can remember. I hope, like the global economy, this is as bad as it's gonna get.

I walked around the streets of Mumbai today.. well for only about an hour, and this city and it's people never cease to amaze me. Everyone seems to be going somewhere, on their way to doing something. Everyone, right from the slum dwellers to the corporates, are motivated to doing something.. The human spirit of "Never Say Die" is alive and kicking. Seeing all this I cannot help but think, my state of mind represents the weak section of human kind, the section that's given up on everything, waiting for things to happen... rather than getting things done. This is a very incoherent state of mind, total chaos and random thoughts, much like this post!

If Darwin's law of natural selection was extended to include current times, it would be fair to say I represent the species that should not see the light of day again. The strong survive and live on, while the weak simply die out. But unfortunately our desire to multiply has been instilled in our minds so deeply, one cannot imagine a case of someone not being fit to procreate, based only on merit.

I firmly believe one should not have "a desire to settle down and have a family" as one of the quintessential goals of life. I think each one of us must make a distinction between a relationship based on love and a relationship based on convenience. Allow me to explain the two....

A relationship based on love, is a marriage of two people by choice, by their choice alone. Not based on creed, caste, financial status or religion. In short, a non-arranged marriage. These relationships are the closest to my heart. 'Cause I believe this is what God would want (if there is such an entity). I feel this is the purest form of evolution. Only the two individuals who deserve to procreate should get and opportunity. The rest should die out to make the gene pool healthier.

A relationship of convenience is not just an arranged marriage, it is also a relationship based on well .. convenience, it is a well thought of, calculated relationship. After matching qualities, religion, money, physical appearance etc... This to me is most common, and most upsetting one for me. Having a boyfriend or a girlfriend just cause you're getting old, and need to find someone to marry is wrong. The justification of such a relationship is the fear of being alone, which I think is a pessimistic way of thinking. And something as pure as a marriage of two people should not be motivated by a pessimistic thought!

But then again, this is just my opinion, as of now, who knows maybe this is just a phase and I'll grow to understand, like and indulge in a relationship of convenience myself....... I doubt it though!!!

No comments: